Picking A Pattern
Thirty ears ago, I was into crocheting, but I only ever made flat things – afghans and scarves. When I picked it up again this time, I started with a baby afghan. Flat, easy. (Except I had to completely rip it out and start over, but that’s another story). While working on the baby afghan, I found this pattern for a crocheted bolero:
The construction of this crocheted bolero seemed simple enough, and the primary stitch was a double crochet. It looked like a good place to start making 3D items.
The pattern was easy to follow – great for a returning newbie like me. (I have blogged about this project previously here and here.) That said when I got to the point that I could try it on, I discovered I needed to go up a size.
So I frogged the entire thing and started over. Knowing what I was doing, it went together a lot faster this time.
I made it to go with this dress:
Here is my solution to the bottom clasp:
I love the way the bolero looks with the dress. However, my mannequin, Daisy, is not as busty as I am. When I put on the bolero, although it fits, hooking it at the bottom causes the sides of the bolero to gap up by the shoulders. I think adding extra hooks up a bit higher or perhaps getting some ribbon and lacing the first few inches from the bottom may fix that. Hitting Joanne’s tomorrow, so I’ll pick up some ribbon. Of course, it doesn’t have to be hooked together at all.
In any case, I feel like my first 3D crochet project was a success. It’s finished, it fits. These little kinks can be worked out.